She’s pregnant, now what? You may be having mixed emotions, scared, angry, happy, or confused. This is natural. Don’t feel you have to figure it all out in one day. This news will change your life! Maybe it wasn’t part of your plans but now that it has happened it will affect you in many ways. Take some time and accept that your girlfriend or wife is pregnant.
What can you do to help her?
- Listen to her. She is feeling many of the same emotions as you. Don’t pressure her into making a hasty decision. Keep the lines of communication open.
- Stay calm. She needs your support now more than ever. You both are responsible for this baby whether or not you plan to stay with her.
- Get informed. Make sure you have all the facts so you can make the best choice for you, your girlfriend or wife, and your baby.
- Seek wise counsel. It is important to talk to people, preferably adults, that you can trust and who have the knowledge to give you good sound advice.
What you shouldn't do:
- Pressure her into making a hasty decision. This may be a difficult time and it may feel like you should both have all the answers today, but you have time to slow down and get the facts. You need to work together to come up with the choice that works best for all of you.
- Run away. Don’t shun your responsibility or deny that you had any part of this. It will only complicate your situation.
- Blame her. You are both in this together.
At Relevant Pregnancy Options Center we understand that men process things differently. We have men counselors who will provide a confidential, non-judgmental place to talk about your options and help you through this process. When you know the facts it helps make the decision process easier. Make an appointment today to talk to someone who understands what you are going through.